Children are unique in their own special ways and so are their healthcare needs. At Memorial Hospital, we believe your child deserves to have his or her needs met locally, which is why we opened the Department of Pediatrics in 2012. The department provides medical care from birth to young adulthood with treatments ranging from well-child checks to management of serious healthcare issues, including endocrine-related diseases such as Type 1 diabetes and growth, pubertal, thyroid and adrenal disorders.
The Department of Pediatrics is led by Dr. Kathryn Skuza attracts families from across the region to Douglas. Dr. Skuza is double-boarded in Pediatrics and Pediatric Endocrinology and has more than 25 years of experience within her specialty. Prior to Memorial Hospital, she was the attending Pediatric Endocrinologist at several Children's Hospitals in New Jersey. She has been recognized as a Top Doctor of the New York Metro Area in Pediatric Endocrinology.
Memorial Hospital also offers pediatric care and treatment for:
- General pediatrics.
- Developmental pediatrics.
- Diabetes management.
- Internal medicine.
- Adolescent medicine.
- Family medicine.
Endocrinology at Memorial Hospital of Converse County provides treatment for endocrine diseases. Our endocrinologist, Dr. Kathryn Skuza, treats hormone imbalances that are often complex and involve many systems in the body.
The endocrine system is comprised of a complex group of organs called glands that exist throughout the body. Glands produce hormones that are secreted directly into the bloodstream.
Endocrine conditions include:
- Diabetes – a disease that affects the production of insulin or the body's response to (or ability to absorb) insulin, causing high blood sugar
- Thyroid diseases – disorders of the thyroid that can involve too much (hyperthyroidism) or too little (hypothyroidism) hormone production
- Metabolic disorders – conditions that affect how the body uses food, which can often lead to excessive weight gain
- Cancers of the endocrine glands, including thyroid cancer
- Osteoporosis – a disease that causes bone loss
- Cholesterol (lipid) disorders – conditions that cause abnormal cholesterol and triglyceride levels, which can lead to other diseases such as heart disease and atherosclerosis